(I took the header picture of a Common Loon resting on a pond in Utah on its way north in June of 2015. It was in transition from winter to summer plumage.)

Translate - I dare you. Then make a comment on the funny errors the translator made.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Alliterative verse 1

I like alliteration. And this past spring I started trying to write alliterative verse according to classical Old-Middle English structure (which you can read about here).

This is hard to do. My attempts so far show the typical features of beginning poetry: most of my attention goes to fitting the form, so that I'm not as free to express what I might be feeling or wanting to say. I can try to steer the point or argument of the poem in a general direction, but I'm still mostly a back-seat driver, with the form at the wheel, sometimes taking turns I didn't intend.

Still, this specimen might not stink too badly, so I'm sharing it.



No comments: