Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
(Trying to be Glen Velez in 2001)
The more I look, the more richness there is to potentially explore in this deceptively simple instrument: variations in dimension, tuning, jingles, and playing techniques. In particular, I have wished to imitate Björn Tollin’s adaptation of kanjira techniques to his tambourine, which started a whole new style in Sweden. I already had a little tambourine but its head was broken, so I bought a cheap tunable one in an import store about six years ago and started experimenting with it.
I’ve been making some progress, but the jingles were too bright. Traditional riqs, tamburelli/tammorre, pandeiros and panderetas all have drier sounding jingles than the conventional tambourine that you’re most likely to find for cheap prices in import shops. It finally occurred to me that I could try to take out the jingles and re-shape them instead of waiting for the day when I had the disposable income to buy a “real” pandeiro.
It was surprisingly easy, with the help of a few pairs of pliers.
Removing the jingles with wire cutting pliers.
Re-shaping them with pliers.
The re-shaped jingles replaced (I only put in four pairs).
I added some little Chinese coins too, for fun.
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
This is hard to do. My attempts so far show the typical features of beginning poetry: most of my attention goes to fitting the form, so that I'm not as free to express what I might be feeling or wanting to say. I can try to steer the point or argument of the poem in a general direction, but I'm still mostly a back-seat driver, with the form at the wheel, sometimes taking turns I didn't intend.
Still, this specimen might not stink too badly, so I'm sharing it.