(I took the header picture of a Common Loon resting on a pond in Utah on its way north in June of 2015. It was in transition from winter to summer plumage.)

Translate - I dare you. Then make a comment on the funny errors the translator made.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Summer's half done

I only have 20-something working days left this summer until I can get back to my real job. Back to life as I knew it. This whole summer has seemed like a sort of limbo, a different life, a life in exile.

I have written things in my notebook that I thought might make good blog posts until I kept writing. I have not used my typewriters as much as I have wanted. Other typecasters have attested to the addictiveness of typewriters. It amazes me that after almost 9 years of fairly regular (sometimes) journal-keeping and freewriting I still have to work to allow myself to take the risks of actually getting things onto paper whether I have thought them through or not. While I'm at work, unable to write anything down, my head swarms with ideas. Sometimes I'll jot something down in order to try to remind myself to write about it later. Later meaning not only when I'm not at work but when I'll be able to express whatever idea it is brilliantly and effortlessly.

I still have to remind myself of the work and discipline that go into writing.

I expect and hope that when this summer exile is over that I'll be so starved for my usual work that I'll be amazingly productive. But I'll have to make sure to allow myself time to write too, and I hope that the hunger for that will also drive me to that fearless risk-taking and demanding discipline.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Desert Loon.

Summer is indeed the fleetest of the seasons and your thoughts on writing also strike a chord with me. Especially the "allow myself to take the risks" part.

I see from your previous post that you have a great event approaching - or perhaps happened already - that being the birth of your daughter.

I would like to take this opportunity to pass on my best wishes and warmest regards to all of you.

I believe that another Desert Loon can only make this world a better place.

Like most of us, my life has taken some twists and turns, but the singular time of the birth of my beautiful girl, twelve years ago this month is simply the greatest event that I have ever been a part of.

Please keep us posted if you have the time.

All the best is yet to come.

Teri said...

I spent several months writing three pages every morning. It gets easier as you go. Then I got a new puppy and I've yet to get back to that old routine, several months later. (Watering the garden seems to have grabbed that hour in the morning.) I'm looking forward to typing in the mornings again soon. It makes a huge difference in your writing.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!